Yesterday, Ross Currier, a Boston man, was cleared of sexual assault charges in the North End. Suffolk County prosecutors entered a nolle prosequi, which resulted in the termination of the charges of assault and battery, which carries a maximum penalty of 2 years in the House of Corrections, and indecent assault and battery, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in the House of Corrections, that Currier had been facing stemming from an incident that occurred on February 15, 2014.
On February 15, 2014, a woman told police that she was approached from behind earlier that morning outside her North End apartment by a man who then threw her to the ground, groped her body and private areas, and took a picture under her skirt with his cellphone. Police arrested Currier on March 10 after the same woman saw him in the neighborhood and told police officers that she was “90 to 95% positive” that he was the man who attacked her. Not only did Currier have an alibi, stating that he was at home with his fiancee at the time of the woman’s attack, but the same woman had already previously misidentified another man as her attacker. The other man was incarcerated at the time of the attack and could not have possibly committed the crime.
District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said in a statement Wednesday that while prosecutors do believe the woman acted in good faith when she identified Currier, investigators later “developed evidence to suggest he was not the assailant.” That evidence included a detailed review of Currier’s alibi, a forensic investigation of his cellphone and an investigation of related cell tower location records.